Wow, has it been a really stressful summer. In July I got a call that my father had been in an accident on the Indiana Toll Road. He was very lucky to be alive and I am so grateful! I have been driving him everywhere now, just until he feels more comfortable doing it on his own, if it happens.
Then my mother needed some exams, blood test and CT scans. For her, with the Alzheimer's, it was not easy. I made sure I was with her and that she made it to her appointments. Well, since these test results came back, life has been a whirlwind. I received a call from her nursing home that the CT scan detected a massive clot, barely hanging on, directly under her heart (not even related to what the CT was to find)! So, they rushed her to the hospital via an ambulance. They were able to put an umbrella filter in between her heart and the clot. She remained in the hospital until late Monday night in order to thin her blood via IV's. Well, this was extremely stressful for my father (very understandable with his devotion to her) and he started having some seizures on Saturday. So, in order for my father to be less stressed they agreed to release my mother back to the nursing home if she receives injections of a blood thinner two times a day scheduled at 9 am and 9 pm. I had to find a home health care nursing aid that could administer the shots for 5 days straight, along with drawing her blood. My mother does better with one of us there, so I have been making sure I am there each morning and evening to ease her mind.
Well, my father was not acting right, but kept saying I just need to lay low, that he was just exhausted. I picked him up and took him to see my mother Tuesday evening and he did not look or act well, sort of like he was not processing things well and having a hard time finding the words he needed. On the way he had a mild a seizure and kept telling me he was fine....don't worry...you have a family to worry about.....etc, etc. When I went to pick him back up, and be there for her shot, he had another seizure. Finally after some prodding, via the nurse worried about his actions, he admitted he has been having these since Saturday, but that particular day he had 3 before I picked him up (at 4:00 pm), 2 that I witnessed, and 3 more that night after I took him home.
After I ran to help my mom with her shot the next morning, I called my father (to check on him) and he asked me to pick him up some items at the store, but had a very hard time trying to explain what he needed. I rushed to the store, went to his house and soon after I got there he had another seizure. I had called both of his doctors offices first thing that morning, but no response. As soon as I witnessed that one I demanded to talk to his doctors, as he admitted he had one just prior to talking to me that morning. That made it 10 seizures in a 24 hour period! ENOUGH I thought! They said to take him to the emergency room to check his med levels. They took such good care of him. They took blood tests, checked for his med level and possible diabetes. They also did a CT of his brain and determined that his med levels were too low and an IV was needed to get the levels back up and quick! He had been so worried for my mother, he was forgetting and skipping doses of his meds.
As soon as the IV was complete he said he felt 150% better!! They discharged him and I got him home, made his dinner, watered his neighbors flowers, as we had promised to do that! He then wanted me to be with my mother, as he was still focusing on her! She was fine, got her injection, and tucked into bed at 10:00.
In the meantime, I missed my son's tennis match for the second time this week! At least I remembered to get his uniform washed in time!
Well, I know things happen for a reason, even if we can't understand the reason or purpose at the time. Also, I know that we are never given more than we can handle, but boy I have to admit I was feeling like....please not one more thing! Well, I am thinking I don't want more to go wrong, but if it means that I can still have my parents in my life, I shall not complain!
Although, it would be nice to reverse time to when they were enjoying life to the fullest and traveling the world! Just about the time this pic reflects. Well, one thing I would change.....that dorky hairstyle I was supporting!!

No comments:
Post a Comment