Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Today she's 80!

We celebrated my Mom's 80th birthday today. I was hoping, on the way to her assisted living facility, that it would be a good day. We were lucky the evening turned out so good. She kept forgetting it was her birthday, and kept asking my sister Sharyn if it was her birthday. As the night went on she starting connecting everything. The best part was seeing her smile. She liked opening her gifts.....and was happy with all that we did. I brought a cake and she loved it.....Chocolate Turtle Cream Cake.....yum! I loved watching my father tease her, as he has always done since I can remember. We watched a Neil Diamond Concert on DVD and when her favorite song Sweet Caroline came on, her eyes lit up and her feet started tapping to the beat. Just like old times.......the times we try to help her hold onto!

The pictures below are from the past, as Alzheimer's has changed my mother so much physically. But, this is the same smile we got tonight and we feel they are priceless!



This is years ago when some of my parent's college friends hosted a surprise party for my mom. I think it was 30 years ago, her 50th.



When I think back....I don't remember a day that my mother did not have a smile on her face. She was always happy!





So, Happy Birthday Mom..........I love you so very much!

2 comments:

Kim said...

What wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Diane said...

Nice story....so nice you are so dedicated to your Mom and family. I was reading a blog and came across this, and it right away made me think of you.
http://www.amazingpapergrace.com/how-to-dance/
Have a nice day!
Diane