Monday, July 27, 2009

Must be a guy thing......

Yesterday after returning home from visiting my mom and dad, my son asked if I wanted to see
the pictures he took that day with my camera. I assumed they would be of family, as my husband's brothers and their families came to relax by the pool and spend the day together. Nope..........not that at all!!

Well, I'm not to hip on pics of bugs, but as he explained this was no ordinary wasp. I guess it was carrying/dragging back a cicada bug, which was twice its size, and my husband noticed it. Eventually they killed it. You see, this is a Ground Wasp and after a little research, I found that these female wasps dig burrows in the ground and inside these burrows, they will raise up to 16 larvae. She feeds them by paralyzing cicadas with her sting, and carrying them back to the burrow. This particular one was one and one half inches long and had a wing span of 3 inches. My husband put it between his index and middle finger and pushed his fingers down on the table to spread them further apart to show the span!

















Personally, I'd of run inside screaming once I saw a bug that big! I am thinking.......it must be a guy thing to investigate and "play" with bugs. Yuck!!



1 comment:

Diane said...

I'm with you, let the "boys" capture the bog "poses"!!!