Thursday, October 9, 2008

With time to spare.....

Wow, a first for me.......in all my years of college classes (going on my seventh), I have been one to procrastinate on writing papers of any nature. But for some reason this time it is different. I am done with both, with a day to spare!! I was able to choose the topic, which I think is vital when any student tries to take an interest in the paper. Usually I pull an all night-er, and believe me, at my age it wreaks havoc on my stress levels. Something I can definitely do without!!

So, one topic I chose was class sizes. I wondered if class sizes matter in the educational setting. After much research, I have found that during the primary years of K-3rd grade, small class sizes are extremely important for students. There was no evidence to prove that it helps in the secondary level. I am determined that it does, especially in the alternative setting. My district, as other districts, try to cut costs. This year we lost and DID NOT replace one teacher. So that means dividing the students up among the remaining teachers. Needless to say much larger classrooms, with 18-22 students in some classes. These students have not acquired some key skills and still managed to pass up to freshman level. Many have trouble with simple fractions. This is key to other mastery of higher mathematical skills. So, to try to bring them up to level to master standardized testing, it requires more one on one time. With 18-22 alternative students, I have found my challenge!! Most times I find myself being a mom and disciplining more than I should. Heck, if I didn't understand something and I had to wait until the teacher helped 10 other students, I might disengage too, especially if I had ADHD!!!





The other topic I chose was character development in the school setting. I found an article, I was to summarize, that talked of government making it a requirement for all schools to help develop strong moral character in all students. They felt this was a key ingredient to make kids successful in life, by having a good work ethic and strong moral beliefs. I couldn't agree more! That is why I love my Service Based Learning class, the emphasis is just that. I have seen proof, through the involvement in this class, of students thinking of others and changing to help rather than hurt others.

I have been blessed to be a part of that transition!

As William Edward Hartpole once said,

"One of the most important lessons that experience teaches is that, on the whole, success depends more on character than upon either intellect or fortune".

I just had to put that quote in my paper too!

Now, lets just hope I get A's on both!

No comments: