Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lessening the load.....

Ok....so last week I was a little stressed. Well, not only because of the typical start of a new school year, but I like being a "Yes Girl" and helping out whenever I can.

So, I said:

*Yes....I will accept working six hours straight with no prep, 27 students in some classes (alternative students) and a 15 minute lunch to save the district some money.
*Yes, I will also teach two nights a week 3-8pm. (along with my regular teaching 8am-3pm M-F).
*Yes...I will continue to coordinate student volunteers to help at the Senior Center.
*Yes....I will lead the Student Senate (so they know they are valued and important) because there never had been one before I came on board.
*Yes....I will teach a service based learning class to have our students contribute and give back to the community.
*Yes...I will take on Master's classes every Friday and Saturday so I can renew my license in two years (teachers have to obtain a professional renewal license within 5 years by taking 18 additional credits, then 6 every five years thereafter...got to keep us fresh and up to date!).
*Yes...I will be our school representative and negotiator for the district's teachers union.
*Yes...I will faithfully visit my mother (she has Alzheimer's and lives in a home) every Sunday.
*Yes....I will do my father's laundry and visit him every Sunday, as I want to never regret that I did not make time for them.

Well, I started looking like this.........



So, I went to my director and had to tell her that I can't do the two nights a week 3-8pm. I felt so bad, as I love my adult students. They really value this education that they are fighting so hard to obtain. Well, they were able to find a replacement for me. So, yesterday was my last night and most bittersweet. The students hugged me and did not want me to stop teaching them, but they understood. That touched me because, although I had taught a few last year...I was only a teacher to some for 4 days. It was so hard to say no to this because I love what I do. I want to make a difference to each and every person I meet, no matter who.

Well, to make a short story long.....(I am know to do that!), I now can:

Say.......

*Yes....to getting my son to tennis practice and picking him up.
*Yes....to watching ALL of his tennis matches.
*Yes....to spending more time with the hubby (one of my favorites)!

AND the best of all.....attending church on Saturday evenings with my family. I'm hoping my professors continue to let us go a little early!

If I could do it all, I would very happily! I just couldn't balance it all at this time. I'll just continue to be a Wonder Woman want-a-be! My hubby always thought Linda Carter was a hottie!


No comments: